I have been cooking a lot in my instant pot lately. My family is super thrilled about the variety they get to eat. I love the convenience it offers.
Recently, I have been getting strong odors. A thorough cleaning up of my instant pot is the need of the hour.
I wonder if I can put it in my dishwasher. Let us find out!
Is Instant Pot Dishwasher Safe?
Some parts of the Instant Pot are Dishwasher safe.
- The lid and its removable accessories
- The silicone ring
- The inner pot
The outer body of the instant pot is not dishwasher safe. You should never wash the outer body as it contains heating elements and electronic elements in the digital control board.
Always hand clean the outer body with a mild soapy solution and a cotton rag or a soft sponge.
Allow me to divulge in detail how to clean all parts of the instant pot.
How to Clean an Instant Pot
All the major parts of the instant pot are dishwasher safe including the dishwasher lid.
The only part that must never be washed is the outer body. This is because it contains heating elements, electrical elements, and buttons. I will tell you how to wash this separately.
The first thing you have to do is dismantle your instant pot.
Open the lid of the instant pot.
Washing the Instant Pot Lid in the Dishwasher
- Turn your lid upside down. Before putting it in the dishwasher, remove the silicon ring or the plastic seal. It is easy to remove and will pop right off into your hand. You can place it in the top racks of the dishwasher.
- After the ring, take out the rubber stopper and the floater. They are very easy to remove. You need to screw out the rubber stopper and the floater will come out from the other end. Watch the video below for clarity.
- Below the pressure release valve, there is a removable anti-block shield that needs to be removed. Removing it is a little tricky. You need to press it to one side and upwards. It will pop off. Watch the video below for clarity.
- The pressure release valve needs to be twisted and it will come right off.
- Put all these small hardware accessories into a dish or a basket and then put the basket into the dishwasher. Place the dismantled lid inside the dishwasher rack.
The instant pot glass lid is a branded glass lid that allows you to peep inside. It is used for recipes that do not need pressure cooking.
Examples – yogurt, popcorn, slow cooking, etc. The instant pot glass kids are tempered. You can put it easily in the dishwasher.
I have also tried to use glass lids from my kitchen pots and pans and they work just fine with an instant pot. Make sure they are dishwasher safe before putting them in the dishwasher.
Washing the Instant Pot Lid by Hand
If you do not have a dishwasher, no problem. Follow the simple steps below
- Place the removable hardware accessories of the lid in a vessel of hot water + liquid detergent solution. Leave for a few hours. Rinse. This will get rid of any blocked food particles. Use a dry cloth to wipe the small pieces.
- Clean the silicon rubber ring with a bottle cleaner brush or a sponge brush. The tip will easily go in between the silicon ring and take the gunk with it. First, use it dry and then damp it a bit and move it clockwise along the insides of the silicon ring.
Alternatively, you can add two cups of white vinegar. Steam for two minutes. Quickly release the valve pressure.
Dismantle the lid parts including the silicon ring and let it air dry for a couple of hours.
Tip 1 – keep two silicon plastic seals as they absorb and retain flavors. Keep one for sweet dishes and one for meat and vegetables.
Tip 2 – The silicon ring gets loose and wobbly with time. Change every six months.
Cleaning the Outer Body of the Instant Pot
The outer body must never be washed or immersed in water as it contains electrical components.
Remove the cord. We need to clean the rim or groove on top first from leftover food gunk.
There are two methods of doing it
- Hold the body of the instant pot horizontally on your side. With your other hand, use a dry paper towel and stuff it with your fingers inside the groove. Run it all along the lip. After using the dry paper towel, wipe with a damp paper towel. Finish with a dry sweep. For visual clarity watch the video below
- Take a spray bottle and mix soap with water. Spray on the rim. Next, take a bottle brush or a sponge brush to clean the groove. After a good clean just wipe down any excess soap.
Use the same soapy solution spray bottle and spray on the outer body. Wipe clean with a cotton towel.
The stainless steel body will have a lot of fingerprints and stains. For these, you can use bar keepers friend or cream of tartar.
Just sprinkle some on the damp towel and wipe the outside of the instant pot with it.
Use up and down or circular motions to remove all the stains. You can sprinkle more if you feel the need. Wipe dry.
Washing the Inner Pot
The inner removable pot is dishwasher safe. Simply remove the insert and place it on the dishwasher rack.
If you do not want to use a dishwasher, you can hand wash it.
Wash the insert in the sink using bar keepers friend. Take the insert pot to the sink and fill it up a little bit with water (1/4th). Dump the water out.
Take the barkeeper’s friend and sprinkle some powder inside. Take a wet sponge and give it a good scrub all over.
Let the soapy layer remain in the pot for a few minutes. Bar keepers friend is cookware safe so you don’t have to worry about leaving it on the cookware surface.
Rinse with water and pat dry. Enjoy your shiny insert!
Assembling the Insert Pot Back Together
Once everything is shiny and clean, now you have to assemble it all back.
Take the instant pot lid. Place the dried silicon ring back inside the groove.
Place the floater back inside the hole and screw the inside with the rubber stopper.
Place the anti-block shield back by pressing it firmly. Turn the lid and place back the pressure release valve in position.
For a visual clarity on assembling back the instant pot lid parts, watch the video below
Tip- The little edges on the sides of the instant pot that work as handles can also be used as a stand for the lid.
Use it to dry up the lid and the inner part of the instant pot.
As most parts of the instant pot are dishwasher safe, you can comfortably use a dishwasher.
Only the outer casing on the instant pot is not dishwasher safe. It needs to be cleaned by hand.
The inner insert pot and the lid of the instant pot can be easily cleaned in the dishwasher.
I have also mentioned ways to hand wash each part of the instant pot if you do not want to use the dishwasher.
I hope all the information below helps you in keeping your instant pot clean and shiny like new. Happy cleaning!
Other articles you may also like: