Yes, silicon handles are safe up to 350 degrees inside an oven. If left for too long inside an oven, it gets quite hot and changes texture, becoming brittle over time.
I would recommend removing the silicone handle cover ( if it can be removed) and replacing it once the oven cooking is complete.
Silicone will protect your hand from the heat of raw metal underneath as you remove the pan/pot from the oven.
Allow me to tell you all about silicone. We will further see how to use it correctly, the advantages and disadvantages of using silicone in your oven.
A Little Bit about Silicone Handles
Silicone can withstand heat and cold up to a certain temperature. They are also non-stick, inert, and do not leech making them an ideal choice compared to plastic and aluminum.
Due to low thermal conductivity, they transfer heat slowly and are usually used as handles for oven-safe cookware.
Removable silicone handle covers are also available in different shapes in the market.
They are excellent insulating accessories that serve as pot holders while placing and removing hot dishes to and fro from the oven, stovetops, etc.
One handle cover can take care of multiple cookware in your kitchen. Just make sure they are not very thin and fit the right size for your handle.
100% silicone is quite efficient and lasts longer. However, to cut the manufacturing costs, some add fillers that lower the quality of silicone handles.
It always pays to purchase silicone handle cookware from trusted brands for durability and long shelf life.
How to Use Silicone Handles Inside an Oven?
The first thing you must check is the oven safety mark. Always cross-check with the manufacturer’s booklet to avoid a fire hazard.
As I mentioned earlier, most brands state the silicon handles are safe inside an oven at 350° F.
Beyond that temperature, you need to be careful and apply a certain technique to avoid damage and combustion of silicone handles.
Take two wet paper towels and wrap your handle in a double layer.
Now take two sheets of aluminum foil and wrap them above the wet paper towel.
This technique gives you 30 minutes of cooking in a 450 degrees oven and an hour of cooking at 425 degrees temperature inside an oven.
What’s the Breakdown Temperature of Silicone?
Silicone does not have a melting point.
It changes the texture and becomes brittle when used at high temperatures beyond 400° F inside the oven.
Auto combustion occurs at a temperature of about 450F and higher.
Advantages of Using Silicone Handles
- There is no fear of staining with silicone handles
- Rusting does not take place
- They are super easy to clean
- Silicone handles can be used in an oven, dishwasher, and microwave
- The handles reduce the weight of cookware due to their lightweight property
- It comes under food safety grade. According to the FDA, silicone does not release any hazardous fumes when heated and does not react with any material
- You can safely put silicone in the freezer
- Removable silicone handle covers are insulated pan holders. You get to hold the pan and directly serve on your plate without worrying about hand burns. These silicone handle covers come in pretty colors and shapes suiting different designs and moods. Use them for lifting and placing heavy metals like cast iron
Disadvantages of Using Silicone Handles
- So far, there are no documented silicone safety studies. Despite the lack of solid scientific research, as it is FDA approved, manufacturers use silicone for making handles. It is used for oven-safe cookware due to its heat-resistant properties.
- Silicon handles cannot handle direct flame. It begins to melt when it comes in contact with fire. Use it specifically for the oven and not for broiling or open flame stovetops.
- Silicone starts to degrade over time. The speed and time depend on the quality of silicone. Branded silicone handles take time whereas cheaper handles degrade faster.
- Low-quality silicone handles discolor on frequent use and may cause odor during cooking.
- Silicone is not eco-friendly. It is not biodegradable and cannot be recycled.
Silicone handles can be safely used at 350-400 degrees temperature inside the oven.
For temperatures beyond 400F, wrap the silicone handle with wet paper towels and aluminum foil on top to keep it from getting hot.
Do not use the silicone handle for recipes requiring a temperature of 450 and above as auto combustion can take place.
Removable Silicone handle covers serve as excellent insulating potholders. Use them to remove hot cookware from the oven.
No two silicone handles are the same due to the presence of filler materials. Make sure to buy from a trusted brand that offers 100% silicone.
Always read the manufacturing instructions to find out the exact temperature your handle can withstand.
As a rule of thumb, do not go beyond 350F. It’s even better if you can remove silicone and replace it on the handle once oven cooking is complete.
This way your silicone handle will not lose any mechanical properties and become brittle, increasing its shelf life.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did writing for it. Take care and stay safe!
Other articles you may also like: